Seebo's Run

A running commentary on my training and whatever else emerges from that.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, United States

Thursday, November 03, 2005

Cruise Intervals

Took a page from my taper program laid out by Greg McMillan when he was coaching me last Spring. Figured I was paying $85 a month for this, might as well recycle it.

On the taper period he has one hard workout (instead of the usual two) during the weekdays. This week it was 2000 meter reps, 7:17 down to 7:03. It was a beautiful sunny day, I warmed up as I took T, riding his bike, to school, and went on to Franklin Field. Reps went down in 7:11; 7:06; 7:06 and 6:59. These reps weren't push it to the max as much as go fast but comfortable. I felt like I did racing the Loop last Sunday, fast but in control. I spent much of the reps trying to visualize this feeling for the marathon.

I checked out how I did this workout back in April and see that I actually did it a bit faster. Now speed is not an issue here as I could have done them faster today, but the idea is no longer to push but just to stay tuned. My comments for the first time around were here. Interesting how I felt very similar. By cutting down the target times just a bit you get a good workout, but more importantly, you also gain confidence. And I have that right now.

So now I can look ahead to NYC on Sunday. Turns out that me and IC are guiding the same guy. Assigning multiple guides to one guy is apparently standard at ATC, as they say things often go wrong with one of them. However, having both me and IC as guides simultaneously may qualify as another handicap. But we'll take him on if he takes us on.

I did some scouring of the internet yesterday, and found an account of our guy, Jambal, from Sydney in 2000, when he apparently showed up for the Paralympic Games without a guide. You can read about it here. The story ends sadly, as you can see here (scroll down to the bottom, under "Busts").

The prospect of guiding someone who I presume does not know much English through an event and a city such as NYC has been a low-level source of anxiety all week. There will be logistical problems galore. Among the most poignant is that, when he crosses the finish line, how will he know his finishing time? I'm assuming that, as Jambal has apparently done this before, he will show us, as will the ATC, who have I'm sure encountered this situation before. But it does get me thinking. The first link is also somewhat informative as apparently they get guided by a tether, but now I have visions of leading this guy around on a leash. The second story is also a cautionary tale, and probably represents a worst case scenario, that the guide unwittingly does something to screw up the race.

So the anticipation mounts. I'll have more to say about it tomorrow, and then I'm heading up.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home