Seebo's Run

A running commentary on my training and whatever else emerges from that.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, United States

Tuesday, October 25, 2005

Keys to the Highway

I got the keys to the highway,
And I'm about to go.
I'm gonna leave here running,
'cause walking's much too slow.

If anyone reading this is thinking about someday running a marathon, be aware that there will be weeks like this one where the only reason for possibly training is that you have to. If you don't go out and run you will piss your training away, and so you go out and run, not because there is anything joyous, wondrous or anything like that about running, but only because you hope it will be done sooner than you think and that it won't be as tortuous as it threatens to be. If you think you can avoid training days like that, good luck. If you don't think you can handle such days, may I suggest some other sport, or perhaps being an Eagles fan, which involves plenty of pain, but at least you can sit on the couch on a day like this.

Cold miserable rainy morning. Was supposed to go to the track this morning but decided to go tempo today and leave the track for Thursday when hopefully it will be drier. Having made that choice, I went back and forth - outside or treadmill. Back and forth, paralyzed with indecision. Each one had more reasons not to do it than the other. I finally decided on the hamster wheel because 1) the shoes I keep here are too worn to run outside; 2) I can listen to the iPod; and 3) it'll be over quicker.

Ugh. 11 miles on the hamster wheel. 6 at 6 minute pace, the fastest that damn thing would go. If it had a 3 minute pace setting I'd turn it to that just to get it done faster. Listened to Muddy Waters, Mel Melton & the Wicked Mojos, and Clapton & King. It was the music that kept me going and from losing my mind. As I knew I would, I finished the whole 11 way too fast in 73:06.

So one workout closer to taper time. This is a key week, I want to get these workouts in and then I can ease up. I take my inspiration from KF, who has been running 2 to 3 twenty-plus milers a week for the last several weeks now in preparation for the Athens marathon in less than two weeks hence, and he's still talking about getting another 22 miler in this week. He runs them alone and after work. Compared to that, what right do I have to complain about this rinky dink 11 miler.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home