Seebo's Run

A running commentary on my training and whatever else emerges from that.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, United States

Wednesday, October 12, 2005

Over Easy

E emailed around a proposed course for this morning that went 11.5 miles. KJ politely suggested it be whittled down a little. I less politely suggested that they could go as far as they wanted, I was bowing out after about 8 or so. I did not want to fry my legs on an easy day as I did last week.

But one of the best things about friends is tolerance of ideosyncracies. Young children have a remarkable ability to do this and somehow we lose this as we get older.

After missing the hookup with KJ, E & I ran an Art Museum loop and bumped into KJ a little past Taney Park. By this time nobody wanted to do 10 and followed me when I cut off the course at 47th for a long 7 (time was 64:28). E proceeded to go home and KJ headed west to 52nd St (or so he said). So in the end I got my wish for a course that let me pack it in when my legs started getting sore. Hopefully that will get me through tomorrow.

I found out last night I'm adding another marathon to my fall calendar. I'd been in touch with the Achilles Track Club, a club for disabled runners in NYC who coordinate setting up guides for NYC marathon runners who need them - visually impaired and similar handicaps. I figured this might send good karma my way and would let me run NYC as a final long run in a nice leisurely manner so that I could, among other things, take in the full greatness of the NYC marathon. Besides, I'm thinking I know at least four folks who are running it, and I could probably tie in a visit with my mom.

Anyway, ATC emailed me yesterday and gave me the name and email address of a Polish runner to guide. A little poking around shows this guy is 41 and ran NYC last year in 3:10. A little faster than I had planned to run a few weeks before running Philly, but I could live with that if the guy speaks English. I emailed him a few minutes ago so I guess I'll find out. Stay tuned.

2 Comments:

Blogger Duncan Larkin said...

Seebo, thanks for the invite to run. I'll contact you once I'm settled down there. Glad to hear you are being a guide for a disabled person. I think you'll find the experience of helping a fellow runner enjoyable and rewarding.

10:45 AM  
Blogger ian said...

Hey Seebo,
Saw your note about the ATC and signed up myself. This'll give me a reason to stay in shape...at least until November.
Ian

3:19 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home