Seebo's Run

A running commentary on my training and whatever else emerges from that.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, United States

Tuesday, October 04, 2005

Chasing the Ghost

I've been blogging long enough to where I'm now recycling metaphors. I was about to write this entry when it struck me that I'd probably used it before. A search of the archives found it here in the middle of the post.

A professor of mine when I was an undergrad used to say that an original idea is the product of a bad memory.

The ghost I was chasing this morning resides on the 2 mile stretch of 34th St/Lansdowne Ave that I will just call Philly Marathon Course Hill (PMHC). The first time I ran it was in 11:50 or so and since then I've not been able to break 12 minutes. This morning was no different, it took me 12:14. I started out a bit slower to see if I would speed up later, but I didn't. I ran one other stretch - the two MLK miles just before the Falls Bridge - at marathon/tempo (I don't know which is which anymore) pace and try as I might couldn't get under a 12:03. Not a speedy morning.

Thankfully I didn't try to hammer it up the Bloody Nipple this morning, but after the second fast part that was my recovery. Then, for the second time in as many times as I've run this loop, my calves were just really really sore. This time it wasn't a burning achilles type of soreness, it was a base-building-my-calf muscles-aren't-used-to- this kind of soreness. I've done much longer workouts fine, but this loop jacks me up. Go figure.

I also made the mistake of taking my sunglasses along this morning. Mornings are now pitch black when I leave the house and I couldn't tell what the sky looked like. Usually these glasses (scroll down to see them in last pic) stay put on my forehead when I'm not using them, but I've never tried that under fast conditions. It didn't work well, and I had to carry them, which (minor though it was) threw off my rhythm during the MP parts. And to add insult to injury, daylight broke to a fully overcast sky.

So it was one of those days when nothing quite went right. All I can do is not let it get me down. But I'm thankful to get in 12, albeit in 98:03, which was actually a little slower even than last weeks death march on the same course.

Pacing this morning came courtesy of a Simon & Garfunkel song stuck in my head from M, of all people, who put it on one of her mix cd's, inexplicably sandwiched between Devo and Coldplay:

Tom, get your plane right on time.
I know you've been eager to fly now.
Hey let your honesty shine, shine, shine
Da-n-da-da-n-da-da-n-da-da
Like it shines on me
The only living boy in New York,
The only living boy in New York.

1 Comments:

Blogger ian said...

I always thought it was "Don't get your plane ride on time..." But for the record I also thought "Paperback Writer" was "Yay for bike riders."
Keep up the slog, Seebobie-Wan. It will serve you well.

8:37 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home