Seebo's Run

A running commentary on my training and whatever else emerges from that.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, United States

Thursday, October 20, 2005

Tightrope

Feels like I’m losin’ time at a breakneck pace

SRV, may he rest in peace. Tightrope was going through my head as I ran what's now become my Thursday loop.

But Thursday Loop is breaking. Its taken me about a month, but I'm finally getting to be his daddy. 1st tempo stretch on marathon hill went down in 11:47; 2nd tempo stretch up MLK went in 11:39. YES! Finally getting these stretches down close to where I can call it tempo pace. Rest of the course went faster as well, 12 miles total in 91:42, about a minute faster than last week. And that is including a stop and go first mile when I was running alongside T as he biked to school.

My gloating gets dampened, however, by the persistent ache of my achilles heels. I took yesterday off to give them a break, and they were appreciative but not fully placated. Immediately after the tempo stretches on Thursday Loop comes the Bloody Nipple hill, and cresting that brings on an achy feeling that feels like the last stretch of a 20 miler. This is good pain, as it is the pain a marathoner must learn to embrace if s/he wants to go the distance. However it then devolves into a burning above the heels, a tightness on both sides of the heels, and a pulling sensation at the base of my calves. Not debilitating, not particularly painful - just there and on the threshold of getting worse. Always on the threshold.

And that is where I'm running the tightrope. Just got to keep my balance for another week and a half and then its taper time. Hold out till then and I can take anything in the marathon. And after that it'll be time for a long break from this craziness.

1 Comments:

Blogger ian said...

I can't believe you're a week and a half from the taper! I got a real good feeling about Philly for you. Hope those heels heals.

9:43 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home