Seebo's Run

A running commentary on my training and whatever else emerges from that.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, United States

Monday, February 04, 2008

100%

It's the doldrums of winter, where we've had enough of cold temps and dark mornings. Many folks whose blogs I lurk on seem to be wrestling with illness or injury. Reba has been getting progressively sicker over the weekend. Sofar I'm okay. These seemingly endless workouts, however, wear one down - both body and soul.

With that in mind, I tempted fate and went to the track this morning. This was my third hard workout in four days, but getting out there this morning will make things easier logistically for the rest of week with the kids.

Today was my first "real" track workout in ages. 8 x 800 meters, 400 meter recovery. Nothing fancy - just straight up shots of running. Figured I'd shoot for 2:45-2:50 range and adjust that goal depending on how I felt. No pressure, I kept telling myself.

My first rep, in the darkness, was hard - gasping for air, rubbery legs hard - and it was all I could do to get a 2:50. Prospects looked bleak. But then the second rep, which seemed slower, came in at 2:48. After that I got my rhythm and I banged out the subsequent six in either 2:48 or 2:49.

They didn't come easy, mind you, but they came steady. No going out too fast on the first 400 or doing heroic dashes on the last turn to make up for lost time. Just a steady push, 1:24's and 1:25's at the 400 split, and the satisfaction of knowing that this is exactly where my fitness is right now.

Altogether it was 11 miles in 85:37. Quinto Sol was right, I am recovered. 100%. This morning I knew it. I'll want to get those 800 meter rep times back down into the low 2:40's or even the high 2:30's, but whether or not I will do so has nothing to do with my ankle. And for the next few days it'll be recovery workouts.

Congratulations to Deirdre as she finished 2nd in the Tallahassee Marathon yesterday. Not bad for a consolation run, as she had been training to run Miami last week but was too sick to do so.

It's a tough time of year, y'all, take care of yourselves, and the ones around you.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home