Seebo's Run

A running commentary on my training and whatever else emerges from that.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, United States

Friday, May 26, 2006

Be Strong, Runner. Be Strong.

The crowd support this morning was much better than usual. Several positive comments along the way from folks who are generally too bleary eyed to say much.

The comments helped, too. Typical Friday where the weight of the week slows me down. Its back to me and Erin to carry the banner of Club West Philly, as Deirdre is out west for awhile and KJ is adjusting to parenthood. We took the Acme Loop (40th St. and Lebanon version) which gave us 8.5 slow miles (68:40) and I went home, had breakfast, took Tony to school, and then did a little coda run of 3.5 miles (Cobbs Creek loop - Pine and Cedar version) in 29:18. I pushed upon myself to pick things up a little bit on this last leg, but today was definitely an easy day. Also the first day of the year where it feels hot and humid.

Getting myself up to do another 3.5 miles was hard. But it is alot more satisfying to write 12 miles in my log than 8.5. Its also good exercise to run when your brain is beseeching you not to. I like the feeling of having pushed through that (at least for this morning), and the need to do that, at some level, in order to get better results is one thing I picked up from Once a Runner.

Several folks I know got marathons this weekend. Ian, Ryan and Duncan are all doing the Vermont City Marathon, and Allan is running a marathon in Buffalo (don't know the exact name). Weather conditions, at least for Vermont, are forecast to be warm and windy, so my wishes of good luck will hopefully work, if nothing else, to mitigate that, and in case it doesn't I will also exhort you all to run smart.

Also best wishes to Jim, who I almost forgot is running a leg of a relay at VCM.

I am a Phillies fan, and regularly curse their haplessness as I hear it on the radio (I don't have cable) or at the occasional game, but following them is nothing like following friends and people I know as they run, especially marathons. So much more investment goes into following folks I actually know, have seen train and prepare, and whose ups and downs I can actually identify with and at times share. So it is with much more anticipation that I'll be running to the race websites and then be looking for details on how the race went.

I suppose an appropriate sendoff to them would be "Godspeed". . . or alternately "be strong, runner, be strong!"

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home