Seebo's Run

A running commentary on my training and whatever else emerges from that.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, United States

Thursday, May 18, 2006

Interstitial Mileage

Mileage that occurs amongst the cracks, in the void, pulled from the in between spaces.

Yesterday started at 5:30 am with a run and ended when I came home at 10 pm from Graterford. Today started at 5:00 am when I turned off the alarm and went back to sleep. Just couldn't get my mojo up. So I did another run wrapped around Tony's little league game. Snuck out of work a little early, put on my running shoes and ran across town to the Shot Tower field, making a detour down to Snyder Ave to get in 6 miles (49:47) and get there in time to help warm up the Dolphins. After winning (Tony: "baseball's fun but its alot more fun if you win") I went back down Christian Street and up the Schuylkill (with a nice sunset) to Spring Garden and back home to get in another seven miles (57:51) and get home just in time to have the kids shush me so I wouldn't interrupt the CSI season finale. Ex-cuuuuse me!

This is my season for exploring South Philly and tuning in to its ecology little by little. Its a bit more in your face than West Philly - more comments (including the first "run, Forrest, run" I've ever gotten in my life), folks running up behind you to see if you'll bolt, narrower streets, etc. Stumbled upon 2nd Street where its known as "Mummer's Row" for all the string band practice halls that are on this street. On the way back I saw the Devil's Pocket Market on 25th and Christian, a reference to a old neighborhood name I'd only heard of previously in a Pete Dexter novel. Ever been there, Scott?

Total time for the entire 13 was 1:07:38. Not the greatest run (Tuesday's 14 miler was about 5 minutes faster) but, like Janis says, sometimes you just gotta "get it while you can."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home