Seebo's Run

A running commentary on my training and whatever else emerges from that.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, United States

Wednesday, April 05, 2006

Dog on a Leash

As has been my habit of late, I overslept the morning after returning from a trip. Was late enough to where I missed hooking up with Club West Philly, but not too late to where I couldn't get in 6 miles (51:27) on an Art Museum loop.

In place of my usual morning company, I took Kenny Brown (on the iPod) with me. His driving blues had me wanting to speed things up to where I consciously had to hold back. I liked this feeling, and visualized myself as a dog straining on a leash. Good metaphor for Sunday.

Shake em on down!

Trip to Columbus went well. I learned, in a way I won't forget, that Ohio is still on Eastern time. Don't know why I thought it was Central time and I set my clock back an hour. Dutifully woke up at 6 to get in a workout and, while thinking idle thoughts in the bathroom realized that Ohio is east of Indiana and thus must still be on Eastern time. Luckily I realized this before my 9:00 meeting, but unfortunately it was like Daylight Saving time all over again, as in the poof of a thought I just lost the hour I planned to run. I went to the fitness center (2 doors down from my hotel room) with the intention of getting in a quick, fast 3 miler anyway. One treadmill was busted and I got on the other and quickly cranked it to 10 and, not 2 minutes later, the treadmill promptly stops (I nearly went flying) with the message "adjust tread." Reset the machine and tried it again (a little more cautiously) but got the same message. At this point I decided it wasn't meant to be and took a DNR before sitting in meetings and planes for the rest of the day.

Shake em on down!

In the process of this I have realized that one reason I have the negative thoughts I discussed on the last blog entry is that I don't feel like I've had the control I wanted over my working out the last month or so. A big part of feeling on top of my running is that I'm hitting workouts, getting miles in, and otherwise doing things as planned. Instead its been negotiating traveling, health stuff, and other things thrown my way that have been far from catastrophic, but has left me adapting and adjusting and bringing my mileage down. Looking back, its not been a bad taper, but its just not one I've felt much control over. So I'd like to just let go of that.

Shake em on down!

I'm ready to go. Straining against that leash. That'll be my strategy for Sunday and my mantra as well. I'll head out to the track one more time tomorrow morning, rev that engine before the long flight, and write one more blog entry.

Shake em on down!

PS - on the left is a picture of me and Ian just before the tape, in our mad dash for first place (and cosmetics) at the Race for Humanity 5k two weeks ago. KJ commented that all that was missing was Jambal. But don't we make a fine couple?! Thanks to MaryKate, one of the race organizers, for emailing the photo to me.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home