Seebo's Run

A running commentary on my training and whatever else emerges from that.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, United States

Thursday, March 23, 2006

Convenience

This thought came to me yesterday, while I was cycling to the Courthouse. Why is driving considered so convenient? Not only can I get to downtown faster by bike and get a way better (and free) parking spot, but I'm also getting a workout in while I travel. How could a car be more convenient than that? We as a society criticize ourselves for being obsessed over convenience; maybe we just need to rethink what convenience really is.

I did some convenience running today. I had to drop off the car in the shop this morning for some steering wheel problems that are a repeat of problems we had in December (another story). So instead of arranging the usual rigamarole with transportation after the dropoff, I just started my workout from the dealer, which is out near the airport. This was, conservatively, five miles from Franklin Field, and when I got there I did 4 reps of 1600 meters.

My legs felt dead on the run over so I told myself I'd be happy with anything under 5:40. Ended up hitting 5:36; 5:33; 5:32 & 5:36 (w/ 200 m recoveries) which gave me a good workout but didn't take me close to the edge. Considering how close I'm getting to Paris, this was a good balance between full effort and tapering.

My jury duty is over, we put a man in prison. It was a low-level drug dealing case where the cops only had minimal evidence to support the DA's case. Really a good example of justice at its most banal. We deliberated for awhile and finally decided that even though we weren't handed much, it was enough for a guilty verdict. While I'm confident we made the correct call, its a shitty feeling to send someone up the river. This feeling became all the more acute when, as is my Wednesday custom, I went up to Graterford yesterday evening.

For something lighter, Ian has one of the best and funniest blog entries I've seen anywhere here, where he goes into a standup routine with a cadence that calls to mind Rodney Dangerfield - were anybody ever to shout "Run, Forrest Run" to him. My favorite line is "When you show up late to practice [for] a real sport your punishment is my sport."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home