Seebo's Run

A running commentary on my training and whatever else emerges from that.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, United States

Saturday, March 18, 2006

Adrenaline 5k

As in a favorite phrase me and a buddy had in college: "Thats not adrenaline running down my leg!"

Race was out in Haddonfield, a leafy Jersey suburb. Normally I don't run 5k's that take more time to drive to than I will spend running, but it is on the Mid-Atlantic USATF Grand Prix circuit and alot of the PAC runners were doing other races. So I figure I'd represent and get in another fast workout.

This race used to be the Bancroft 5k and has traditionally been a race where all the local elite show up. Last year running a 16 flat would have gotten you 19th place; and a 17 flat would have gotten you 44th place. Masters prize money goes three deep, but the 3rd masters ran a 16:47 last year. I love these kinds of races.

The gun goes off and I'm immediately in a pace that's over my head. That is, however, my plan, as I want to run a 1st mile split that scares me and try to hang on. I have this primal fear of crashing, and today I'm telling myself its okay if I go out too hard. My cognitive mind gets this and I keep going hard, but it doesn't sink in, as I'm fighting off waves of anxiety well beyond the first half mile when they usually lift. And all this time I'm getting passed by at least 10 or 20 people, making me wonder if I'm going fast enough.

Mile 1 passes in 5:07 and I smile. Yes, that split scares me. That settles me down and I look who's around me. The course is now on tree-lined old-school suburban streets and seems to go perpetually on a slight downhill. There must be at least 30 people ahead of me and who knows how many behind me. I see a South Jersey AC singlet a few places up and target this minion of the evil empire of the Grand Prix circuit. I go past him and then he surges back ahead of me, taking on my challenge. We do this a few more times and then he fades.

Mile 2 split is 5:28, a bit slower but still chugging. This race is great, at any point you have several people within striking distance ahead of you and several people looking to overtake you at your back. Over the last mile I pass maybe 5 or 7 people and maybe 1 or 2 pass me - definitely a net gain. And then its what I love and hate about this distance, I'm just getting into the race and the finish line looms ahead. Mile 3 is back down to 5:15 and I cross the finish line in 16:25.

This is my fastest time ever on a certified 5k course, and fastest time on any course since 2003. I'm surprised and thrilled that I'm in this kind of 5k shape, and even more so after I see that it gets me a payday as 3rd male Master. $50 - not bad for 16 minutes work.

Ran another 5.5 miles after I got home, ostensibly to get some more mileage in but also because it is just a beautiful day to run. Took it slow down to Cobbs Creek and did something I should do more often - just basked in the exuberence of going out there and running!

1 Comments:

Blogger Chad said...

I was so concerned with my race, that I haven't had a chance to catch up on other's blogs.

Great race and awesome job of challenging yourself with that quick first mile. And $180 an hour isn't a bad gig either.

We have a similar 5k here on Memorial Day. There were only 475 runners last year. Your time would have placed you 46th overall and 7th master; results.

1:01 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home