Seebo's Run

A running commentary on my training and whatever else emerges from that.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, United States

Tuesday, August 01, 2006

New Training Partner

The U. of Pennsylvania sent out an email alert to faculty yesterday, in conjunction with this week's heat advisory. Among the suggested precautions, it stated:

- Eliminate strenuous activities such as running, biking, lawn care, or other physical exertion

Notice how it lumps running in with lawn care. WTF? Anyway, in spite of (or perhaps because of) this I went down to Franklin Field this morning to see what kind of a track workout I could get in. The sun was indeed beating down, but it was early enough so that half the track was still in the shadows. I didn't get too imaginative - 800s (400 rec) in as close to 2:40 as I could get for as long as I could do it. I would try to get a good workout in but I wasn't going to fight the heat.

I got in six reps - 2:37; 2:39; 2:39; 2:39, 2:42; 2:45. At this point I improvised - taking an 800m recovery, running a sub 6 minute 1600 (5:57), another 800 recovery, and, satisfied that I spent long enough in the heat and got a requisite amount of miles, I headed home. Altogether I ran ten miles.

Not what I would call a quality workout but then again the main quality of this workout was that it happened at all. I'm making my peace with the heat. Learning how to work with it, probing it and seeing that it has secrets and virtues and, given that its sticking around for awhile, making it a training partner. In return hopefully it will lend me some support at Stone Harbor and in Virginia Beach. If nothing else, the heat is starting to focus me for the latter, and each day it stays hot the more my eyes focus on this prize.

I finished my laps and made to leave Franklin Field, only to see that maintenance had closed the gate again. Maybe this was in response to the heat advisory (I wonder if Penn suspended all lawn care as well). I pondered my situation - me and the women's field hockey team locked in Franklin Field! But unfortunately I knew the place too well and quickly found a side exit.

1 Comments:

Blogger David said...

I love it -- strenuous activities such as running, biking, lawn care... You'd think your heart was gonna explode if you stepped foot outside your air-conditioned cubicle, with all the warnings in the media. Good grief, what a bunch of grapes. Nice reps in the heat.

11:02 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home