Seebo's Run

A running commentary on my training and whatever else emerges from that.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, United States

Thursday, June 01, 2006

Orange Ball in Gauze

Didn't get to blog yesterday. It was an uneventful run anyway, the 8.5-mile version of the Acme loop with Erin and then another 1.5 miles in a loop to 39th St. through Penn. All told, the 11-mile run went by in a pedestrian 86.30. That run also closed the books for May, in which I logged a total of 284 miles. I was aiming for 300+, but I'll take it.

This morning was another BN loop. My head was tired and my legs were tired so I told myself just finishing would be a good achievement. As I hit the river miles I got a bit more ambitious, resolving to run the 4 miles in under 30 (ended up hitting it in 29:55) and the BN stretch in under 10 (hit 9:57). This contributed to a total time of 106:54 for the 13.5 mile loop, a bit slower than I had been doing the loop recently.

Again, the best part of this run was that I ran it at all. The sun was an orange ball behind a shroud of gauze. It was a mental wrestling match with myself on MLK Drive not to turn off either on Montgomery or Ford Rds. and cut a few miles off of this morning's loop. My goals for the river miles and the BN, while not overly ambitious, were nonetheless goals that did force me to pick up the pace and push. And it is in the pushing where I got the workout. That is something that anyone can pick up from reading this, take a stretch of your run, pick a goal, and just push it a little for that time. Get out of your comfort zone. And then give yourself some miles to crawl back into your comfort zone afterwards if you want.

Deep thoughts. Also makes the tenth straight day of double digit mileage. And tomorrow I go into the hospital for my "procedure." I'll try to squeeze one more double digit day out before I go in tomorrow, and to blog some thoughts on all this afterwards. Then I can recover without feeling the need to go run.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home