Seebo's Run

A running commentary on my training and whatever else emerges from that.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, United States

Thursday, February 17, 2005

Speed Kills

Ran a double session today. This is becoming regular for Thursdays.

This morning I was going to do 6.5, but scaled it back to a 4-mile Franklin Field loop after my Achilles in both heels started making their presence felt about ten minutes into the run. The sensation is hard to distinguish from just soreness, but the onset definitely sets it apart. So this raises the alert level to Orange (like the Dept. of Homeland Security, I don't actually know what that means except get more worried). The silver lining to that is that the loop takes me past the old Furness Library on Penn's campus when the morning sun lights up those red bricks. I didn't concentrate much on pace, and finished in a time I don't care to make public.

I also ran a Sweetbriar loop w/ JH a little while ago. Ran it in 63:56 (a little faster than last week) at a conversational pace. My heels felt much better on this run than they did this morning. The sky started really overcast and raw and by the time we hit the river it was sunny. I also ran on for the first time on Martin Luther King Dr., which is what the Parks Commission officially renamed West River Dr. yesterday. Running on MLK Dr. may not make me any faster, but it should increase my humility.

My heels should also increase my humility. For now I'll keep running, but without as much speed. I'm sure my increase in tempo and marathon pace mileage over the last few weeks were instrumental in what I'm now looking at. Building base must remain my priority, and if it takes sacrificing speed, well so be it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home